Engineering and Environmental Services (Stormwater Management)
The Lancaster County Stormwater Management program is a federally mandated program monitored by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. It was created in 2017 in accordance with federal and state requirements relating to water quality.
The Indian Land portion of Lancaster County is considered part of the Charlotte Urbanized Area. The explosive growth of this area has led to an increase in polluted stormwater runoff making its way into our local waterways. The Stormwater Management Department's goal is to reduce the amount of polluted runoff. This is accomplished by educating the public, monitoring all new construction sites, monitoring existing residential developments and businesses, and using of best management practices in County operations.
What is Stormwater Management?
Stormwater Management is the process of controlling the runoff from precipitation (rain or snow) that flows off of impervious surfaces like parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, and rooftops. If left unchecked, stormwater flows from these hard surfaces to streets, gutters, and storm drains, where the untreated runoff flows directly into nearby waterways.
Stormwater runoff does not go to a treatment plant before discharging into the area's receiving waters. So it will carry pollutants like motor oil, pet waste, fertilizers, pesticides, grass clippings, leaves, litter, and sediment into nearby waterways. All of these are pollutants that negatively impact the water quality of our rivers, streams, creeks, and ponds.
- EPA Small MS4 Stormwater Program Overview
- Stormwater Management Plan
- Stormwater Management FAQs
- Citizen's Guide to Stormwater
- Understanding the MS4 Program
- FEMA Flood Map Services
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- US Fish & Wildlife Services
- SC Dept. of Health and Environmental Control
- SC Department of Natural Resources
- DHEC Application for Stormwater Review
- SC DHEC NPDES Permit Annual Report
- Stormwater Advisory Council
- Sediment and Erosion Control Review Procedures
- Litter Hotline
- Pre Construction Check List